Card's Opticians, Inc.
The first Card's Opticians, Inc., family-owned and operated business, started in a rustic white stucco store. The store was located on State Highway 17-92. This was back in 1957. The proprietor was Harold G. Card, Sr., who ran the business with the help of his wife, Dorothy.
As the family business grew, parking for clients became a problem. Harold and Dorothy decided to move their optical store to downtown Winter Park. Searching for the best space and convenience, they decided to rent an office where the drive-in tellers of Bank of America are now located. Two years later they would have to move again when a parking garage was planned for that location.
As good fortune would have it, across the street, at 180 S. Knowles Avenue, a suite was available for sale. This suite became the home of Card's Opticians, Inc., where the optical family has been happily located ever since.
Harold G. Card, Sr. passed away in 1985. Harold G. Card, Jr., who then ran the business, retired but is still active as a consultant. Today Card's Opticians is run by his son, Harold G. Card, III, daughter, Terri Card Munroe and wife, Carol Card. Dorothy E. Card, who helped her husband Harold Sr. start the business, passed away in 1997.
This article was written by former archivist, Barbara White, MLIS.
Want to see the rest of the collection? Click the leaf below!