F. W. Shepherd's Store
Forney Welch Shepherd's general store stood at the southeast corner of what is today Park Avenue and Morse Boulevard. Shepherd ran this general store - which sold hardware, dry goods, groceries, cold drinks, and more - from 1901 to 1923, paying $10 a month for rent. In 1912 he tore down the wooden building seen here and in its place constructed the second brick business building in Winter Park. (The Bank of Winter Park was the first.) W. H. Hale purchased the store from Shepherd in 1923 and opened his own grocery there; Shepherd retained his fertilizer business and entered into partnership with R. S. Fuller. Shepherd & Fuller's store was located directly behind Shepherd's brick building, with an entrance on Morse Boulevard.
This article was written by former archivist, Barbara White, MLIS.