In 1956 Mr. and Mrs. Paul Wrenn purchased the R.C. Baker Clothing business, and the building that housed it, at 202 Park Avenue. The two-story building was built in 1916 by Walter Schultz to house the Men's Store which he opened and operated until 1925. Half of the first floor was leased to Mrs. J.C. Vicks who owned and operated Miss Vick's Hat Shop. In 1919 Ruth and R.F. Leedy bought Miss Vick's Hat Shop and formed the R.F. Leedy Company, better known as Leedy's. Leedy's operated at this location until about 1930 when they moved to 311 Park Avenue. The upstairs was occupied by Dr. Verigan, a dentist; Dr. R.F. Hotard, a medical doctor; and Mr. Sievert, a photographer.
In 1925 R.C. Baker bought the Men's Store business from Walter Schultz and continued operating the Men's Store until 1956. Also, at this time, (1925), Edward F. Keezel, local banker and real estate developer, purchased Mr. Schultz's building and his share of the block.
The Wrenn's came to Central Florida from North Carolina where Mr. Wrenn had been in the retail furniture business. For several years he was associated with Rutland's Clothing Stores in Orlando. When the opportunity to purchase the R.C. Baker Clothing business came about in 1956, he took it and operated Wrenn's until it closed in the early 1980's.
This article was written by former archivist, Barbara White, MLIS.