The home on 231 Interlachen Avenue was built in 1882 by Francis B. Knowles as a winter resort to attract visitors to the area. It later served as the permanent winter residence of Charles Hosmer Morse, who purchased it in 1904 and named it "Osceola Lodge" after the Seminole Indian chief. Morse also remodeled his home and doubled its size. "Osceola Lodge" is an excellent example of the Craftsman style of architecture, with its simple, well-proportioned, and functional designs. Morse furnished the house with custom-made Mission Oak furniture, indicative of the arts and crafts movement, as well as with Indian artifacts, thereby creating a rustic atmosphere. Hugh and Jeanette McKean resided briefly at 231 Interlachen before moving to Wind Song on Genius Drive. The home now acts as the Winter Park Institute's offices. To learn more about the Winter Park Institute - check out their website.
This article was written by former archivist, Barbara White, MLIS.