Skip to main content
Winter Park Public Library Archive

The Batchellor Home

Batchelor Home

The Batchelor home at the southeast corner of what is now Osceola and Ollie Avenues was built in 1886 for $7,000 by Richard Neal Batchelor, a pioneer citrus grower, who had come to Winter Park in 1883 with his son, DeHaven, and his sister, Mary Batchelor Bull. The house served as a boarding house for some time, managed by DeHaven's wife Flora, and in 1957 it was leased briefly by Rollins College as a women's dormitory. The Batchelor home was demolished in 1960 to make way for the apartments of Sutton Place South.

This article was written by former archivist, Barbara White, MLIS.