The Ergood-Tousey Home
Before "Casa Feliz" was built, on the same Interlachen property stood the Ergood Cottage, constructed in 1887. John Ergood leased the first commercial building in Winter Park, a general store at the corner of Park Avenue and Morse Boulevard; he also served as Winter Park's Postmaster. His home, with its irregular plan, extensive porch, and tower element, can be classified as exemplifying the Queen Anne style, which was very popular at the time in the Northeast. The main focus of Ergood's Cottage was a central square tower topped by a domed cupola from which one would have enjoyed a scenic view of Lake Osceola. The home was subsequently owned by Colonel John H. Roe, Mr. C.G. Tousey, and Mr. Roy B. Symes before Barbour purchased the property.
This article was written by former archivist, Barbara White, MLIS.