The Winter Park Advocate
The Winter Park Advocate was the first paper to be produced within the city of Winter Park. Owned and opperated by Gus Henderson, it was only two newspapers in the state of Florida to be owned by an African American at the time it operated from roughly 1889 to the late 1890s.
Even in the 1800s, Gus was an ardent civil rights campaigner, regularly taking on prejudices of the time directly through his journalism or through editorials published in other local papers. He was instrumental to encouraging the African-American citizens of Winter Park to vote for the inclusion of Hannibal Square in the original boundaries of Winter Park.
Please take a moment to read our copy of The Winter Park Advocate
This physical issue of The Winter Park Advocate can be viewed at the Winter Park Public Library Archives and is available upon request.